top of page

Apply for licenses and permits

Most small businesses need a combination of licenses and permits from both federal and state agencies. The requirements — and fees — vary based on your business activities, location, and government rules.

Federal licenses and permits

You'll need to get a federal license or permit if your business activities are regulated by a federal agency.

Check to see if any of your business activities are listed here, and then check with the right federal agency to see how to apply.

Requirements and fees depend on your business activity and the agency issuing the license or permit. It's best to check with the issuing agency for details on the business license cost.


If you import or transport animals, animal products, biologics, biotechnology or plants across state line.

U.S. Department of Agriculture


Alcoholic Beverages

If you manufacture, wholesale, import, or sell alcoholic beverages at a retail location.

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau

Local Alcohol Beverage Control Board



If your business involves operating aircraft, transporting goods or people via air, or aircraft maintenance.

Federal Aviation Administration


Firearms, ammunition and explosives

If your business manufactures, deals, or imports firearms, ammunitions, and explosives.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives


Fish and wildlife

If your business engages in any wildlife related activity, including the import or export of wildlife and derivative products.


U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Commercial fisheries

If your business engages in commercial fishing of any kind.



National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries Service

Maritime transportation

If you provide ocean transportation or facilitate the shipment of cargo by sea.

Federal Maritime Commission

Mining and drilling

If your business is involved in drilling for natural gas, oil, or other mineral resources on federal lands.


Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement

Nuclear energy

If your business produces commercial nuclear energy, is a fuel cycle facility, or is involved in distribution and disposal of nuclear materials.



U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Radio and television broadcasting

If your business broadcasts information by radio, television, wire, satellite, or cable.

Federal Communications Commission

Transportation and logistics

If your business operates an oversize or overweight vehicle. Permits for oversize and overweight vehicles are issued by your state government, but the U.S. Department of Transportation can direct you to the correct state office.

U.S. Department of Transportation





State licenses and permits


The licenses and permits you need from the state, county, or city will depend on your business activities and business location. Your business license fees will also vary.

States tend to regulate a broader range of activities than the federal government. For example, business activities that are commonly regulated locally include auctions, construction, and dry cleaning, farming, plumbing, restaurants, retail, and vending machines.

Some licenses and permits expire after a set period of time. Keep close track of when you need to renew them — it's often easier to renew than it is to apply for a new one.

You'll have to research your own state, county, and city regulations. Industry requirements often vary by state. Visit your state's website to find out which permits and licenses you need.

bottom of page